Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Singapore - Singapore

We took the train from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to Singapore, Singapore. It's an island on the very bottom tip of Malaysia but is a separate country all on it's own. For a time it was part of Malaysia but it broke away and decided it could do it better. And it has. It's clean, modern, and orderly. But the people can't seem to figure out the whole let-people-off-the-subway-before-trying-to-squeeze-on idea. They have signs and videos and arrows on the floors showing where to wait so people can get off easily... but it's just not getting through.

When unpacking a couple things at the hostel when we first got to Singapore, I dropped my camera from the top bunk onto the linoleum. It turned on (hooray!) but the screen just turned white (boo). So this is what pictures look like when you don't know if your camera is working or not:



As if I wasn't bad enough at remembering to take pictures. So I took it in to the panasonic store to see if I could get it fixed. Turns out they had a repair shop in Singapore (hooray!) but it was closed on weekends (boo), and it would probably be more cost-effective to just buy a new camera (of course it would). I did some looking around since I've heard that Singapore has cheap electronics (Thanks, Sara... She went to Singapore to get a bunch of Singaporean cheerleaders ready for the Chingaaaayyy Parade of Dreams). I found a little shop and started the bargaining and researching and test-driving. The shop was willing to give me trade-in value for my old broken camera because they repair them and have a community education class and teach children photography (awww). After an hour in the shop, I bought a new camera and got a few pics of the surrounding area.

Singapore has a large muslim population and here are some pics of a mosque and a graveyard. If you look closely at the mosque you can see a row of circles under the gold top. Guess what it is... Soda bottles. Waste not want not, eh?



Oh, one night we went out with some new-found friends and we ate at a little restaurant on the street. We ordered some things that sounded delicious and while we waited for our meals to arrive the owner brought out something to munch on. Now I've had popcorn at some restaurants, olives at others, oil, vinegar & bread, etc. Peanuts were no surprise... but these had a secret ingredient. Upon closer inspection I noticed these intermixed with our snack:

Mini dried fishies. And yes, I ate them.

So not a lot of pics from Singapore unfortunately. But I've got more from other stops along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment