Saturday, September 5, 2009

Thailand - Chiang Mai

I woke up on the train in Chiang Mai, the second biggest city in Thailand.

View Sukhothai to Chiang Mai in a larger map

After finding out that the bus service no longer existed, I used a tuk-tuk to get to my hostel. A tuk-tuk is a 3-wheeled motorbike that is named after the sound it makes.
One of the main things to see in Chiang Mai is a mountain top temple called Doi Suthep. I rented a motorbike and took a beautiful ride up the mountain, through the forest. The temple is really pretty and has a great view, though the clouds sometimes hide it.



Another thing to see in Chiang Mai is all the handicrafts from the hilltribes. I stopped at a silk factory to see how things are done...



I wanted to stay longer in Chiang Mai and explore more but my time in Thailand was coming to an end and I still had to see Bangkok!

Random pics:

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing experience. So glad you are keeping us updated on your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One always feels better when the is a McDonald's nearby. :)

    ReplyDelete