Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Thailand - Krabi & Railay

It was time to head South to Krabi.


View Thailand - Kanchanaburi to Krabi in a larger map

There's not much going on in Krabi Town, but it is a send-off point to get to Phra Nang and Railay beaches. These beaches are still part of the mainland but the mountains are so steep and rocky between them and Krabi, there is no road so you have to go by boat.

Another paradise. This area is pretty commercialized and is full of resorts ranging from backpacker (cheap) to luxury (expensive). It is famous for rock climbing and has some places for scuba diving and to explore other islands. In one of the James Bond movies there is a secret lair on an island that has steep cliffs and looks like it's going to topple into the water. That's in this area too.

We did a hike to a lagoon. It got steep and muddy and Celia decided to turn back. I decided to keep going. In places you have to shimmy down a rope and hold on tight. When I finally made it down, there was a shallow lagoon with steep cliffs all around it. there was only one way in and out. I thought it was worth the climb.



On the south part of the peninsula, is Ao Phra Nang (Ao = Beach). It was beautiful and surrounded by cliffs and great rock formations. Across the water you could see other islands, including the aptly named Chicken Island. We relaxed here and soaked up the sun for a few hours.



As mentioned before, Railay is known for rock climbing. We signed up for a day of climbing with a guide and all the equipment. It turned out to be harder than indoor climbing but I had a great time anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I would have loved this part of the trip...rock climbing and hiking and beach time. So fun!

    ReplyDelete