Friday, June 26, 2009

UK - England - Nottingham and Sherwood Forest

So I made it to Nottingham and Sherwood forest. Home of the fabled Robin Hood. I stayed with my friend Ceri and she showed me all around this beautiful place.
Sherwood forest is an ancient oak forest that is now a reserve. Its main attraction is the Major Oak (which was just as exciting as it sounds). It's the biggest tree in the forest. But they're afraid that it would follow the natural order of things and die and fall over so they've propped it up for all to see. It's like going to see the Tour de France and everyone has training wheels. Or a Marathon where everyone is shuffling along in walkers.
Photobucket
We did some exploring through the forest. Ceri loves to sit in a tree because it feels closer to nature. After Celia was done laughing at her, Celia decided to do it too. but her tree had to be higher. After a comical time getting her into and out of the tree I thought I'd have a go too... But I had to use my expert tree-climbing skills to go bigger and better.

1 comment:

  1. All you need is a white horse to go dashing about the forest saving the fair maidens. I love these stories and photos. Keep them coming, it makes you seem a lot closer than the other side of the world! Love you.

    ReplyDelete