Monday, June 8, 2009

UK - Wales - Llandyfriog - Mair

Mair is another friend of mine from when I lived in Newcastle Emlyn. She lives in an ancient farmhouse with loads of character. I remember coming down her path and knocking at her door. Her mail-slot was at eye level so when we would knock, she would flip open the slot to see who was there.



Once inside we would plop down in her low-seated over-stuffed chairs and thaw out from the damp Welsh air in front of her large coal burning stove. I love the low ceilings and even lower doors, the "natural-style" garden, the view across the Teifi River Valley out of her kitchen and back bedroom. What a cozy place!

I have some ancestors that come from this area of Wales and every time I come to visit Mair I feel like I might be visiting one of their homes. Mair keeps telling me that I'll be moving back to this area after my travels. Today when we drove by her house she said, "There is an old lady that lives there who used to be on her own but now has an American lodger living with her." I guessed that's what the neighbors will be saying in the future.

Mair has introduced me to a few of her friends. Most of whom are painters and poets. We've taken some beautiful walks and driven to some amazing sights. There used to be several railways going through the area. The rails and ties have been removed but the railbeds are perfect walking paths through the forest which is reclaiming it's rightful place as the years go by. This country is so serene... it's probably because of all of the green.



3 comments:

  1. look at you being all touristy-like taking all of the pictures, i'm looking forward to the pictures with you in them holding up a peace sign... maybe wait until after you leave the UK to hold up those two fingers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great pictures, but I want to see a few of you too! I remember hearing about Mair too. Its fun to have those little memories come more to life for me through these photos and blog. I am glad you found the slideshow. It makes it easier to put tons of photos on, and not feel like you have to weed through and only choose a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful walk through Wales. I can feel the peace and serenity - and wonder if you truely are walking the paths of your ancestors. I hope one day I can walk those same paths - maybe with you as my guide :)

    ReplyDelete